The news is purged with its usual terrorist attacks, murder victims, plane crashes and calamities. The end of days? Who knows, maybe mankind is on a century long destructive path and now television is showing us the might of our ways. We are indeed a powerful race, free will and all that. God granted us this and a lot of the times we use it to damage and destroy. No wonder he is shortening our life spans, imagine if man could live to 500 years as depicted in the holy books, we would have wiped out planet earth to its core.
Yesterday i had a discussion with a friend and he was going on about corruption in Africa, lack of freedom, killings, bad governments and the total disregard for human life. Lack of vision, the greediness of our leaders coupled with their stupidity, the list is endless. We both decided we missed home, so much, sometimes unbearably but are scared for what is there. We know the strength of our people and the brutality they can unleash.
We looked at every West African country just to narrow the numbers and focus our minds and what a pitiful picture we painted. A lot of these countries are
- In abject poverty, apart from a few most of whom are either in the government of have “old” money
- Have terrible health care and education systems
- Are in religious, civil or tribal wars, sometimes all of the above
- Have no human rights, our governments laugh in the face of human rights
- Have wobbly Infrastructures standing on one leg at the best of times
However a lot of these countries have
- A high percentage of learned graduates –who unfortunately have no jobs because in Africa it’s who you know not what you have achieved at university is what it key to your success. In fact you might as well use that paper that you have slaved over to make yourself a paper aeroplane and swish it into lala land if you think you stand a chance without knowing someone. One wonders where corruption stems from?
- Invaluable resources- oil, gold, silver ,copper, coffee, huge massive forests which i bet harbour new species of plants and animals yet to be discovered
- Man power-our men are strong and capable, do you wander why they forcibly recruited us to come and plant sugar cane?
- Woman Power: Our women are even stronger; they bring up families’ single handily. Do not be deceived by what the media will tell you about the African woman, she is suppressed yes, but she is strong and can still command. I have seen african women in action, trust me you do not want to cross them. These are mothers with a difference, mine still sends shivers down my spine if i am naughty, no african child however old is immune from this.
- Culture- i cannot use the word rich, it is insufficient in describing what depths our culture delves into. Every celebration, every ritual, every occasion has a purpose.
- Respect: when i was growing up, respecting your elders is like the air you breathe, if you forget this your breath will be literally taken away by a hot slap lol!
- Community: where i grew up, there is a saying that you may be poor but no one can ever go hungry. I thought that was everywhere until i saw those famous rwandan war victims with their skeletons, cladded in only skin. These pictures have come to depict our whole continent.
- Talent: Walk into any UK institution and you will be awashed with our men and women everywhere, we are doctors, nurses, engineers, lawyers, cooks, designers, architects, cleaners, bus drivers, bankers….the list is endless.
- Plus we are the best dancers in the universe oh and singers too…lol
Yes we do not have freedom of speech, but remember Henry the eight who relived his wives of their heads?
Yes we have egotistical leaders with the greediness of a pack of hungry hyenas, one word. Ok two..Adolf Hitler, nuff said.
Yes our children die, needlessly, everyday..so did yours when you were evolving or is it called growing as a nation/attaining civilisation.
Yes we are hungry sometimes because our government ministers are using our money to buy their wives gucci shoes. One day the shoe will be on the other foot. I pray to god i live to see it.
Yes, yes yes, our men are vilified and our women abused–your history books can attest to the fact that your men and women went through then what our men and women are going through now.
Yes, our governments will not let us even have sex with whom we want. Woe beside you are lesbian or gay in Africa! Apparently an abomination, heads of states have sworn to literally roll heads on this issue—you did the same to your gay community not too long ago.
Yes, everyone thinks we are a charity case
We have heard you for crying out loud, silence your drums and stop wagging your fingers at us.
Now….after all that…
Tell your children that we are also a nation of wealth and goodness
Tell your mothers and fathers that we are artists and musicians and have kings and princesses
Tell them that we also toil the land and mostly feed ourselves
Please write in your books of our great ancestors, our poets and writers
Tell them of our children who now are paying a lot of the taxes in your country
Tell your presidents to make sure our governments can trade fairly instead of telling us how they will save us, we can save our selves if you just let us have some say into how much we want to sell our coffe grains to y0u. We know you love coffee.
Stop coming to our beautiful beaches and exploiting our innocents—we know you do this. Yes we know.
Your media, your voice, the eyes and ears of your people cannot go for one day without showing our dead, our hunger, and our struggle.
We invite you to see our happiness, our triumphs, and our heroes
We invite you to hear our poets and hear our musicians play
We invite you to hear our children dance and amaze you
We invite you to hear our stories, they are not all bad
We have heard you. Give it a rest